Last revised on: October 14, 2014
2. A Note About Children We do not intentionally gather Personal Data from visitors who are under the age of 13. If you are under age 13, please do not attempt to create a user account or provide any personal information about yourself to us.
3. A Note to Users Outside of the United States. Please be advised that, by using our Services, you are consenting to the transfer and processing of your Personal Data across international borders. Your Personal Data may be processed in the country in which it was collected and in other countries, including the United States, where laws regarding processing of Personal Data may differ from the the laws in your country, including lawful requirements to disclose Personal Data to government authorities.
4. Types of Data We Collect. “Personal Data” means data that allows someone to identify or contact you, including, for example, your name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, as well as any other non-public information about you that is associated with or linked to any of the foregoing data. “Anonymous Data” means data that is not associated with or linked to your Personal Data; Anonymous Data does not, by directly or indirectly, permit the identification of individual persons. We collect Personal Data and Anonymous Data, as described below.
(a) Information You Provide to Us.
- When you create a user account (“Account”) to access certain features of the Services, we may collect Personal Data from you, such as yourusername, e-mail and password. In some cases we may ask for additional information for security reasons or to provide specific services to you.We may ask that you create an Account for each applicable Site. You may also login using a social networking site account as described below.
- When you apply for our educational programs or access information about the programs for which you are registered through our Services, we or our third party service providers will collect additional Personal Data from you, which may include, without limitation, your first and last name, gender, profile picture, mailing address, telephone number, date of birth, confirmation of the age of majority, country of citizenship, country of residence, professional title, company name, professional interests and your web presence (for example, your website, LinkedIn address, Twitter feed address).
- When you register for paid services, such as a membership on the Singularity Hub Site in order to access premium services, we or our third party service providers will collect all information necessary to complete the transaction, including your name, credit card information, billing information and shipping information.
- When you create social networking accounts and participate in public forums on our Services, or use our applications on third-party platforms such as social networking sites, we may collect user-generated content you elect to share, including Personal Data, status updates, pictures, digital files, audio and video recordings that you upload.
- If you make available certain information, files, or messages through the Services, we will collect and retain that information and may associate that information with your Account.
- If you provide us feedback or contact us via e-mail, we will collect your name and e-mail address, as well as any other content included in the e-mail, in order to send you a reply.
- When you participate in one of our surveys, we may collect additional profile information.
- When you post messages on the message boards of our Services, the information contained in your posting will be stored on our servers and other users will be able to see it.
- We may also collect Personal Data, such as at other points in our Services that state that Personal Data is being collected.
(b) Information Collected via Technology.
- To make our Services more useful to you, our servers (which may be hosted by a third party service provider) collect information from you when you use our Services, including yourbrowser type, operating system, Internet Protocol (IP) address (a number that is automatically assigned to your computer when you use the Internet, which may vary from session to session), domain name, and/or a date/time stamp for your visit.
- If you use our Mobile App, we may collect information about the device on which the Mobile App is installed, including for example information such as an equipment identifier (e.g., IMEI or UDID), subscriber identifier, mobile phone number, device name, type and manufacturer, operating system type and version, wireless carrier, network type, country of origin, and IP address. We may also collect location data directly from the GPS on your device if it is required to provide the needed functionality of the product or service, and use third-party service providers to translate that information into usable location information (where we are permitted by law to process this information).
5. Use of Your Personal Data
(a) General Use. In general, Personal Data you submit to us is used either to respond to requests that you make, or to aid us in serving you better. We use your Personal Data in the following ways:
- to facilitate the creation of and secure your Account on our network;
- to identify you as a user in our system;
- to optimize or improve our Services and products;
- to provide the Services and products you request;
- to improve the quality of experience when you interact with our Services;
- to send you a welcome e-mail to verify ownership of the e-mail address provided when your Account was created;
- to send you administrative e-mail notifications, such as security or support and maintenance advisories;
- to respond to your inquiries related to employment opportunities or other requests;
- to detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be illegal
- to make telephone calls to you, from time to time, as a part of secondary fraud protection or to solicit your feedback;
- to provide you with advertising based on your activity on our Services and on third party sites and applications (if permitted by local law and choices and controls that may be available to you);
- to send newsletters, surveys, offers, and other promotional materials related to our Services and for other marketing purposes of Singularity.
(b) Creation of Anonymous Data. We may create Anonymous Data records from Personal Data by excluding information (such as your name) that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We use this Anonymous Data to analyze request and usage patterns so that we may enhance the content of our Services and improve Site navigation. Singularity reserves the right to use Anonymous Data for any purpose and disclose Anonymous Data to third parties in its sole discretion.
(a) Third Party Service Providers. We may share your Personal Data with third party service providers, for purposes such as providing payment processing services for the Services. These third party service providers are required not to use your Personal Data other than to provide the services requested by Singularity.
9. Your Choices Regarding Your Personal Data
(a) Choices. We offer you choices regarding the collection, use, and sharing of your Personal Data.
(i) We will periodically send you free newsletters and e-mails that directly promote the use of our Services. When you receive newsletters or promotional communications from us, you may indicate a preference to stop receiving further communications from us and you will have the opportunity to “opt-out” by following the unsubscribe instructions provided in the e-mail you receive or by contacting us directly (please see contact information below).
(b) Changes to Personal Data. You may change any of your Personal Data in your Account by editing your profile within your Account. You may request deletion of your Personal Data by us, but please note that we may be required to keep this information and not delete it (or to keep this information for a certain time, in which case we will comply with your deletion request only after we have fulfilled such requirements). When we delete any information, it will be deleted from the active database, but may remain in our archives. We may retain your information for fraud prevention or similar purposes.
10. Security of Your Personal Data. Singularity is committed to protecting the security of your Personal Data. We use a variety of industry-standard security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Data from unauthorized access, use, or disclosure. We also require you to enter a password to access your Account information. Please do not disclose your Account password to unauthorized people. No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, while Singularity uses reasonable efforts to protect your Personal Data, Singularity cannot guarantee its absolute security.
Attn: General Counsel
Singularity Education Group
NASA Research Park
Building 20, S. Akron Rd.
Phone: (650) 200-3434
13. Additional Policies. Certain services provided by or through Singularity may be subject to additional privacy policies or privacy disclosures (collectively “Additional Policies”). In the event of any direct conflict between any Additional Policies and this policy, the Additional Policies will control.